Explore the diversity of families and human development
Explore the world of human development and family sciences at Bridgewater College. Coursework emphasizes diversity in families throughout the life cycle. Complete coursework in human development across the life span, as well as family sciences. Choose from two tracks: Human Development and Family Studies or Family and Consumer Sciences Education, according to your career goals and interests.
Your degree in human development and family science will prepare you for a variety of careers, including human services settings such as:
- Early childhood education
- Foster care and after-school programs
- Domestic violence shelters
- Non-profit work
- Marriage and family counseling
- Retirement and adult care
BC also offers a child development laboratory, giving you unique opportunities for real-life application of course concepts with 3, 4 and 5 year-old children. The child development laboratory is the only one of its kind in Virginia.
If you wish to be licensed to teach family and consumer sciences, you must also be admitted to the Secondary Teacher Education Program (grades 6-12) or the Elementary Teacher Education Program.
The Human Development and Family Science undergraduate program at Bridgewater College has been reviewed by the National Council on Family Relations. It has been recognized as an NCFR CFLE-approved program offering coursework covering the content required for the Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) designation. Graduates of NCFR CFLE-approved programs qualify to apply for the CFLE designation via an Abbreviated Application Process.
Specific requirements for this major can be found in the College Catalog.
As a human development and family science student, you could intern at:
- Family Connections Program at Sentara RMH Medical Center
- Harrisonburg Rockingham Department of Social Services Foster Care
- Parent Education Program at the Office on Youth
- Pathway Program for Expelled and Suspended Youth at the Office on Youth
- People Places of Charlottesville (Therapeutic Foster Care)
- Sunnyside Retirement Community
What can you do with a degree in human development and family science?
Like many BC graduates, you might enter graduate schools such as:
- College of Charleston
- Chelsea College of Art & Design
- University of Delaware
- Delta State University
- University of Florida
- Georgia Southern University
- James Madison University
- Louisiana Tech University
- University of Kentucky
- University of Maryland‑Baltimore County
- University of Maryland‑Eastern Shore
- Mississippi State University
- North Carolina State University
- Northwestern State University
- Old Dominion University
- Shenandoah University
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Tech
Or pursue a career in:
- Child Care and Development
- Cooperative Extension Agent
- Early Childhood Education
- Event Planning
- Marriage and Family Counseling
- Non-profit Work
Learn more about career paths, employment and advancement in the field from the professional organizations listed under Family and Consumer Sciences on the Career and Professional Resources page.
Questions? Contact Us!
Dr. Donna Hoskins, Assistant Professor